Contents Shortcuts Global Menu Shortcuts


HOME About Cheongyang History


In the Three States Era

In the era of tribal society of Mahan, Cheongyang was located in Goradopyeong along the Jicheon river and Saroguk was located along the Yongcheon Stream.

In the Beakje Era

East of Chilgab mountain, there were Jeongsan-myeon, Mok-myeon, Cheongnam-myeon and Jangpyeong-myeon that were included into Yulgi-hyeon. West of the mountain, there were Cheongyang-eup, Daechi-myeon, Ungok-myeon and part of Namyang-myeon that were the parts of the Goryang Buri-hyeon. And there was Sasiryang-hyeon which integrated Bibong, Hwaseong-myeon, Hongseong-gun and part of Janggok-myeon.

In the Silla Era

There were name changes during this era:Yulgi-hyeon into Yulseong-hyeon, Goryang Buri-hyeon into Cheongjeong-hyeon and Sasiryang-hyeon into Shinryang-hyeon. That means there were three hyeons.

In the Goryeo Dynasty

Cheongjeong-hyeon was changed into Cheongyang-hyeon, Shinryang-hyeon into Ryeoyang-hyeon and Yulseong-hyeon into Jeongsan-hyeon. In the reign of King Seongjong, the administrative district was changed into 10 dos 12 jus and 510 hyeons. In the 9th year of King Hyeongjong(1018), according to the local administrative reform, Cheongyang-hyeon was included into Cheonan-bu. It was later integrated into Yanggwang-do and finally it was called Chungcheong-do in the 5th year of King Gongmin. As the number of passers-by increased, there were 22 main stations that included Yuyang(jeongsan) Station and Geumjeong(Namyang) Station.

In the Joseon Dynasty

In the 13th year of King Taejong, (1413) there were Cheongyang-hyeon and Jeongsan-hyeon. In the 5th year of King Hyeonjong (1664), according to the local administration reform, Cheongyang-hyeon was integrated into Jeongsan-hyeon. In the 32nd year of King Gojong(1895), Cheongyang-hyeon and Jeongsan-hyeon were re-separated and the both became Cheongyang -gun and Jeongsan-gun. Cheongyang -gun had 9 myeons including Dongsang, Dongha, Seosang, Seoha, Namsang, Namha, Buksang, Bukha. And Jeongsang-gun included Daebak, Baekgok, Bokdong, Inghwadal, Cheongso, Jangchon, Gwanhyeon and Jeokgok.

Since the 1900s

According to the land reform in 1914, Cheongyang-gun and Jeongsan-gun were integrated into one. And 10 "myeon"s and 115 "ri"s were newly created that included diverse myeons across Hongju-gun, Gongju-gun, Buyeo-gun and Daeheung-gun.
In 1942, Cheongjang-myeon was renamed as Cheongnam-myeon and Eumnae-myeon as Cheongyang-myeon.

Since the Liberation
  • 1973: Cheongsu of Bibong-myeon and two "ri"s of Hakdang were incorporated into Cheongyang-myeon.
  • 1979: Cheongyang-myeon was promoted into Cheongyang-eup.
  • Jan.1987: Jeokgok-myeon was renamed as Jangpyeon-myeon and Sayang-myeon into Namyang-myeon.
  • Dec.1991: Two "ri"s of Jeokgok, Jangpyeong-myeon was renamed as Dorim-ri.
  • Nov.1992: Currently, there are 5 "ri"s in Eumnae 2 "ri"s in Jeongnu, three "ri"s in Songbang, consisting of 1 eup, 19 myeons and 182 administrative "ri"s.
  • Aug.2009: There are a total 183 administrative -ri with the inclusion of Jangpyeong-ri, Jangpyeon-myeon.